Subscribe Login
DE4CC0DE-5FC3-4494-BCBF-4D50B00366B5
Drinks

Beer Consumption In Portugal Down 25% Over Past Decade

Individual beer consumption in Portugal has dropped by 25%, or 15 litres, per person, over the past decade.

According to data from the Portuguese Association of Beer Producers (APCV), each Portuguese citizen drank 46 litres of beer in 2015, compared to 61 litres in 2005.

The association links the drop in consumption to the financial crisis in 2008, as restaurant visits declined due to lack of funds. The HoReCa sector accounts for more than half (63%) of the beer consumed in Portugal, with the remaining 37% consumed at home.

To make matters worse, the VAT rate for the sector increased to 23% in 2012. However, the effect was reduced in July of this year with the reduction to 13% for meals and cafeteria services.

Although beer production in Portugal also fell by 11% in the decade leading up to 2015 as a consequence of the drop in consumption, the damage was not as significant, thanks to exports.

© 2016 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Branislav Pekic. To subscribe to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine, click here.

Stay Connected With Our Weekly Newsletter

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Get exclusive access to the latest grocery retail & FMCG news, interviews with industry leading executives, and expert analysis on the trends shaping the sector today
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Get exclusive access to the latest grocery retail & FMCG news, interviews with industry leading executives, and expert analysis on the trends shaping the sector today
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days