Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

Portugal Sees Double-Digit Growth In Beer Sales: Study

Published on Jul 23 2019 11:40 AM in Drinks tagged: Beer / Portugal / Sociedade Central de Cervejas / Cervejeiros de Portugal / SGC

Portugal Sees Double-Digit Growth In Beer Sales: Study

Beer sales in Portugal witnessed double-digit year-on-year growth in the period between January and April 2019, a new study has revealed.

The data, sourced from Nielsen, was shared by Nuno Pinto de Magalhães, director of communication and institutional relations at Portuguese brewery Sociedade Central de Cervejas (SCC), reports the Jornal Economico.

This positive trend has continued in May, with Pinto de Magalhães attributing the market growth to good weather, increased consumer confidence and improved purchasing power.

Beer Consumption

Figures published by the national brewers association, Cervejeiros de Portugal, show that the Portuguese consumed 527.6 million litres of beer in 2018, up 0.5% on the previous year.

Beer consumption in the HoReCa channel was 69%, while the take-home channel accounted for the remaining 31%.

However, beer production saw a 3.3% decline in Portugal in 2018 to 676.3 million litres.

Beer exports fell 14.6% year-on-year to 162.2 million litres, while imports declined 10.9% to 19.8 million litres.

© 2019 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Branislav Pekic. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email