Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

China Buys US Soybeans After Declaring Ban On American Farm Goods

Published on Aug 23 2019 11:00 AM in Supply Chain tagged: Trending Posts / China / soybean / USA / Trade War / World News

China Buys US Soybeans After Declaring Ban On American Farm Goods

China snapped up a small volume of US soybeans last week after pledging to halt purchases of American farm products due to the escalating trade war between Washington and Beijing, US Department of Agriculture data showed on Thursday.

The world's largest soybean importer struck deals from 9 to 15 August to buy 9,589 tonnes for delivery in the current marketing year and 66,000 tonnes, approximately one cargo, for the next year, the data showed.

China's commerce ministry said on 5 August that Chinese companies stopped buying US farm products in the latest escalation of the trade war between the world's two largest economies.

"You do have some buying going on," said Arlan Suderman, chief commodities economist for INTL FCStone. "It's a little bit of a surprise."

Retaliatory Tariffs

China last year imposed retaliatory tariffs that remain in place on imports of US farm products including soybeans and pork.

The duties have slashed exports of US crops and prompted the Trump administration to compensate American farmers for losses over two years with as much as $28 billion (€25.3 billion).

China said on Thursday it hopes the United States will stop a plan to impose new tariffs, adding that any new duties would lead to a further escalation.

China has largely turned to South America for soybeans since the trade war began last year. US soybean sales to China in 2018 dropped 74% from the previous year.

"Compared to what they used to buy, they essentially have halted - but some have gotten through," Suderman said.

The sales of 9,589 tonnes for delivery in the current marketing year will probably be rolled ahead to be delivered in the next year, which begins on 1 September, said Don Roose, president of Iowa-based broker US Commodities.

The cargo sold for delivery in the next marketing year could have been in the works before Beijing said Chinese companies would suspend purchases of US farm goods, said Terry Reilly, senior commodity analyst for Futures International.

"The government may have just given the green light to say, 'Let this one go through,'" Reilly said. "One cargo is not going to change the fact that they're not buying millions of tons of soybeans."

News by Reuters, edited by ESM. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: European Supermarket Magazine.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email