Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

Portugal FMCG Sales See 3% Growth In Third Quarter

Published on Nov 30 2017 2:30 PM in Retail tagged: Portugal / FMCG / Nielsen / Portuguese Retail

Portugal FMCG Sales See 3% Growth In Third Quarter

Portugal's FMCG market registered a 3% increase in the third quarter of 2017, placing it among the top 10 countries in Europe for growth.

According to Nielsen’s Growth Reporter report, sales of consumer goods in Portugal grew by 0.2% in volume and by 2.8% in value during the period.

Europe, as a whole, saw a 2.5% growth in prices and a 0.3% growth in volume, with an overall increase of sales amounting to 2.8% (+1.7% year-on-year).

Retail Trends

For the period from January to October 2017, the Portuguese FMCG market grew by 3.5%, with increases in categories such as beverages (9% non-alcoholic and 6% alcoholic), frozen foods (3%), home hygiene (3%), and groceries (3%).

Private label brands grew by 3.9%, while the manufacturer brands grew 3.3%.

Nielsen points out that the increase in consumer confidence in Portugal is leading to the consumption of more premium products. Looking ahead to the next quarter, this may lead to an increase in value sales.

A separate study by Kantar Worldpanel shows that online FMCG sales in Portugal grew by 3.4% in absolute terms during the 12 months until March 2017, maintaining the same market share as in 2016, at 0.9% of the overall FMCG market.

© 2017 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Branislav Pekic. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email