Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

Brazil’s Grupo BIG Rolls Out 'Next Generation' Supermarkets

Published on Oct 14 2020 8:39 AM in Retail tagged: Brazil / Wal-Mart / Walmart Brasil / World News / Gruppo BIG

Brazil’s Grupo BIG Rolls Out 'Next Generation' Supermarkets

Brazil’s Grupo BIG (former Walmart Brasil) has launched a new, 'next generation' supermarket format.

The “Super Nova Geração” project, which follows the transformation of 100 hypermarkets in Brazil, will see the reformatting of the Nacional (in the South Region) and Super Bompreço (in the Northeast) stores.

The aim is to offer customers a more modern and smart sales area, with a new layout and strategic assortment of fresh products.

The first four shops featuring the new concept were opened at the end of September in the cities of Camaquã (Rio Grande do Sul), Recife (Pernambuco) and Salvador (Bahia).

Tackling COVID

The retailer also announced that its hypermarkets in the greater São Paulo region have been certified with the CovidAudit seal, awarded by to commercial establishments that show effectiveness in combating COVID-19.

To receive the seal, shops are submitted to a series of tests by anonymous customers to check whether the companies are complying with certain security protocols.

Grupo BIG operates 388 stores in 18 Brazilian states. It operates seven banners across hypermarkets (BIG and BIG Bompreço), supermarkets (Super Bompreço and Nacional), wholesale (Maxxi Atacado), shopping club (Sam's Club) and neighborhood shops (TodoDia), and gas stations.

Grupo BIG is owned 80% by Advent International, while the remaining 20% is held by Walmart Inc.

© 2020 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Branislav Pekic. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email