The Consumer Goods Forum's (CGF) Forest Positive Coalition has launched a working group focusing on beef, as part of its ongoing efforts to remove deforestation, forest degradation, and conversion from key commodity supply chains.
The working group hopes to combine the voice of its members in requesting forest positive solutions to the environmental challenges associated with beef production. The group will also develop a Beef Roadmap that outlines the coalition's commitments and takes action to address deforestation concerns specific to the beef sector.
The Beef Roadmap will include the following goals:
- Accelerate efforts to remove commodity-driven deforestation from supply chains.
- Set higher expectations for traders and meatpackers to act across their entire supply base.
- Drive transformational change in key commodity landscapes.
- Define measurable outcomes on which all members of the group agree to track and report individually and collectively.
- The coalition was formed in 2020 by the CGF and brings together 19 of the world’s largest retailers and manufacturers, with a combined market value of $1.8 trillion.
This is the coalition's fourth working group based on a specific commodity, following those focused on palm oil, soy, and paper, pulp, and fibre-based packaging.
© 2021 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Conor Farrelly. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine.