DE4CC0DE-5FC3-4494-BCBF-4D50B00366B5
A-Brands

Notes From Africa: Netafim, BGI Ethiopia, Fayus, Chipsy, Delta Corporation

By Editorial
Share this article
Notes From Africa: Netafim, BGI Ethiopia, Fayus, Chipsy, Delta Corporation

Here’s the latest in ESM’s regular series, Notes From Africa, which brings you the latest retail, consumer goods, and food-and-beverage stories from across the African continent. Past editions can be found here.

Morocco: Netafim Commissions $2.8 Million Irrigation Equipment Plant

Israeli irrigation equipment manufacturer Netafim has inaugurated a new micro-irrigation materials and equipment manufacturing plant in Kenitra, Morocco.

The plant, which cost a total of MAD 30 million ($2.8 million), will initially produce drippers for watering and supply the domestic market, before gradually expanding to other countries in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. This is Netafim's first factory in Africa since its establishment in 1965. The new plant is expected to create 150 to 200 jobs.

Ethiopia: BGI Ethiopia Invests $9.3m To Modernise Brewery

BGI Ethiopia Plc, a subsidiary of the Castel Group, has commenced renovations at the Meta Abo Brewery it acquired from spirits giant Diageo in 2022. The project aims to expand the plant and increase beverage production capacity, at a total estimated cost of ETB 500 million ($9.3 million).

Officials say the renovation is part of the company's ambition to increase the plant's production capacity from the current level of 1.7 million hectoliters to 3.6 million hectoliters per year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nigeria: Fayus Begins Installation Of Palm Plantation

Fayus Nigeria Limited, an agribusiness company and subsidiary of the American group Fayus Inc, has commenced installation of an oil palm plantation on a 3,000-hectare farm in the Owan East Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria. The $250 million project is part of the Edo State Oil Palm Programme (ESOPP) implemented since 2019, in support of the Central Bank of Nigeria's (CBN) drive to boost local production of the oilseed on a 100,000-hectare area.

Fayus Nigeria plans to install 500,000 nursery beds to start transplanting during the next rainy season. The project already employs 130 workers and is expected to create 5,000 jobs once the farm is operational.

Egypt: Chipsy Launches New Potato Chip Production Line

Chipsy for Food Industries, a subsidiary of PepsiCo Egypt, has launched a new potato chip production line at its plant in 6th of October City. The facility has a production capacity of 25,000 tonnes of chips per year and cost $20 million to set up. With this new investment, Chipsy for Food Industries now has nine production lines in the country.

The company is diversifying into corn and potato-based snacks and exports its products to 11 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Lebanon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Zimbabwe: Delta Corporation To Invest Up To $50m Per Year

Delta Corporation, Zimbabwe's leading brewer, plans to invest between $40 million and $50 million per year to strengthen the capacity of its beverage production activities in the southern African region. The interventions will include the replacement and renovation of existing plants and the updating of information and communication technologies in various facilities.

The company also intends to improve its local supply of sorghum, barley, and maize to farmers to support the production of its traditional beer brands, such as Chibuku.

Rwanda: Milk Processing Plant To Be Launched

In Rwanda, Inyange Industries Limited, the country's leading agribusiness company, plans to launch a milk processing plant this month. The facility will be located in the Nyagatare district of the Eastern Province and will cost $45 million to build. It will have a processing capacity of 650,000 litres of raw milk per day.

According to officials, 20% of the plant's production will be dedicated to the domestic market while the remaining 80% will be exported to countries in the East African Community (EAC), the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), and the Middle East.

© 2023 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest A-brand news. Article by Espoir Olodo. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: European Supermarket Magazine.

Get the week's top grocery retail news

The most important stories from European grocery retail direct to your inbox every Thursday

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

By signing up you are agreeing to our terms & conditions and privacy policy. You can unsubscribe at any time.