Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

Jumbo Regains Title Of Cheapest Supermarket In Portugal

Published on Mar 15 2018 8:30 AM in Retail tagged: Trending Posts / Lidl / Continente / Jumbo / Minipreço / Pingo Doce / Portuguese Retail

Jumbo Regains Title Of Cheapest Supermarket In Portugal

Jumbo has once again been named the cheapest supermarket chain in Portugal, according to the latest study by consumer association Deco Proteste, based on prices collected between September and November 2017.

Former price leaders Continente and Continente Modelo are now trailing behind the Auchan-owned banner, with the average price for the same basket of products reported to be 2% more expensive than in Jumbo.

Jerónimo Martins-owned Pingo Doce has managed to climb one place on the table, with prices reported to be 7% more expensive than those at Jumbo, while the same basket of products is reportedly 14% more expensive at discounters Lidl and Minipreço.

Lisbon, Porto and Setúbal are the districts where it is possible to achieve the biggest savings by choosing the right supermarket, according to the study.

The study takes into account a basket of products, featuring some of the top-selling brands in Portugal among fresh, frozen, grocery, and personal and household hygiene products. More than a third of the basket (38%) is made up of mid-range private-label products, while the remaining 62% consists of manufacturer brands.

In total, the study collected 110,290 prices for a selected basket of 141 products in 70 counties.

Retail Rankings

Away from the mainland, Pingo Doce, leads the ranking of the cheapest supermarket chains in Funchal, on the island of Madeira.

Meanwhile, in the Azores, Continente Modelo is reported to be the cheapest in Ponta Delgada and Angra do Heroísmo. However, on Terceira, this leadership position is shared with the Guarita banner.

The Deco Proteste study also claimed that Jumbo is also the cheapest online grocer, ahead of Continente Online and Intermarché.

© 2018 European Supermarket Magazine – your source for the latest retail news. Article by Branislav Pekic. Click subscribe to sign up to ESM: The European Supermarket Magazine

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email